Earning an Earth Science Week Activity Patch is a great way for youth groups (Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, 4-H Clubs, Campfire USA, YMCA, etc.) and event planners to participate in Earth Science Week.
To earn an Earth Science Week activity patch, youth group members will need to complete at least two activities from different categories listed below.
This program will operate on an honor system. When participants have successfully completed their activities, order the Earth Science Week Activity Patch by clicking here.
Earth Science Week Activities
Get Involved with Your Community During Earth Science Week
- Organize or volunteer to help at an Earth Science Week event in your community (Publicize your Earth Science Week event on the world wide web by sending information about your event to firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll post the information on our Events page)
- Visit a local park or monument in your area and write a short report about the geology there.
- Learn to identify three rocks or minerals found in your community, and find a commercial use for each.
- Participate in one of AGI's research projects.
Learn about Earth Science
- Invite an Earth scientist to visit your group to talk about what they do at work or to discuss a concept in the Earth sciences.
- Write an essay or make a poster about a famous Earth scientist.
- Give a presentation to your group about an interesting topic related to Earth science.
Have Fun During Earth Science Week
- Enter one of the Earth Science Week contests.
- Attend an Earth Science Week event near you.
- Publicize your Earth Science Week event by posting fliers around your school and community.
- Surf the Earth Science Week web site (www.earthsciweek.org) or the US Geological Survey web site (www.usgs.gov) and write an essay about the resources you find.
Information for Earth Science Week Event Planners:
If you are interested in planning an event for Earth Science Week, we encourage you to reach out to youth groups in your community to help them earn an Earth Science Week activity patch. Participants must complete at least two activities from different categories listed above. To order patches, click here. There is no need to prove that the activities were completed as the Earth Science Week Activity Patch program operates on an honor system.
Earth Science Week event planners can also organize activities designed to meet the requirements for a Girl Scout or Boy Scout Merit Badge in the categories Environmental Science and/or Geology. For information on the requirements, contact your local Girl Scout or Boy Scout troop or visit the US Scouting Service Project web site and click on "Environmental Science" or "Geology" in the left-hand column.