Adapted from the FEMA/American Red Cross
Disaster Preparedness Coloring Book
Following a natural hazard, basic services – electricity, water, gas, telephones – may be cut off for days. Or, you may have to evacuate at a moment’s notice. You probably won’t have time to shop or search for the supplies you’ll need. Gather the supplies you’ll need to deal with the situation now, before a natural hazard happens.
One class period
|In the Classroom||At Home|
- Store enough supplies to last at least three days.
- Keep them in sturdy, easy-to-carry containers such as backpacks, duffle bags or covered trash containers.
- Store your kits in a safe, convenient place known to all family members – preferably in a cool, dry, dark place.
- Keep a smaller version of this kit in the trunk of your car. You should also keep important family documents in a waterproof container.
- Keep your kits in working order. Change the water and food every six months; replace the batteries at least twice a year.
- You might also want to keep books and games in your disaster supplies kit.
- Color the picture family (click here for printable version).