Video Contest 2022
“Striving for Sustainability Globally”
About the Contest
For Earth Science Week 2022, the American Geosciences Institute invites you to enter the “Striving for Sustainability Globally” video contest. Submit a brief, 30-90 second, original video on how people are using the Earth sciences to make decisions that maintain and strengthen the planet’s ability to support thriving life.
Your video entry could take almost any form. A public service announcement? An animated cartoon? A video incorporating your own original music? An audio interview with a family member or even a professional geoscientist? Some other format? You decide. Show how people of various backgrounds around the world use geoscience to strive for sustainability!
The contest is open to individuals or teams of interested persons of any age in any part of the world.
The entrant(s) must:
- Certify that all content in the video is original and belongs to the entrant(s).
- Obtain permission to use any location that is shown in the video.
- Ensure that all submission information (e.g., names and signatures on the Official Photo/Video Release Form -see step 2 below-; location of place that is the entry focus site) are accurate.
- Verify that all team participants who are under 18 years of age have permission from parents or legal guardians to take part in the contest.
- Maintain safe practices.
- Be respectful of any featured location(s), other people using the site, and wildlife there.
- Provide complete contact information by which the entrant(s) can be reached.
- Serve as point of contact for the team.
- Respond to notifications from AGI in a timely manner.
IMPORTANT: To submit an eligible entry for the contest, you must provide three things:
1. Your YouTube submission (completed by following these directions).
2. Signed Official Photo/Video Release Form from all participants (individuals and team members) emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. This includes release forms for any participants featured in the video who are under the age of 18. The Official Photo/Video Release Form can be found here.
3. Completed Google Form.
Your video submission is considered incomplete until we receive these items.
All eligible submissions must be received electronically by 5 p.m. ET, Friday, October 14, 2022.
All contestants (individual and team submissions) must download and complete this form and submit it with entry. Any entrant(s) under the age of 18 will need a parent's or legal guardian's permission to be part of a team that enters the contest.
Any people in the video who can be visibly recognized must sign an Official Photo/Video Release Form before the entry is submitted—minors must have parent or guardian signatures.
In addition to the video, complete entries will include:
- The names and ages of all entrant(s).
- The name of the site and a brief description of where you captured any featured location(s).
Videos should run between 30 and 90 seconds in duration.
Entries must be suitable for display to a general audience with respect to language, visual content, presentation, themes discussed, and related issues.
All entries must be completed in English, and videos must include content that is entirely understandable to an English-speaking audience.
While the copyright for the video and its content is retained by the entrant(s), entering the contest automatically provides AGI the right to display the video online and/or in any public or private settings without restriction.
Videos must be previously unpublished, original content and must be the sole property of the entrants, not previously submitted to any other contest. Published material includes that which has been posted on the Internet. Videos may include footage shot at the site, animations, computer images, drawings, data, and so on.
Additional Rules: By submitting an entry, the entrant(s) represents that the video is an original work, and the entrant(s) is the sole owner of all rights to the video. The entrant(s) also agrees to allow the American Geosciences Institute to use their name to post on the AGI website, without compensation unless prohibited. Each entrant(s) retains their rights to their video but grants to AGI a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to publicly display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of the video, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or later developed, for any AGI purpose, including, but not limited to, education, advertising, and promotion. AGI will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such uses. The American Geosciences Institute, its agents and contractor, are not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, incomplete, or postage-due entries. The entrant is responsible for obtaining legal permission to film on the location they have chosen. Contest void where prohibited or restricted by law. AGI reserves the right to cancel the contest or modify these rules at its discretion. Decisions of AGI are final and binding.
Contest Judging and Prizes
Entries will be judged on the basis of the quality of the approach taken to addressing four criteria:
- Exploration of an example of “Striving for Sustainability Globally” (how people of various backgrounds around the world are using the Earth sciences to make decisions that maintain and strengthen the planet’s ability to support thriving life.)
- Elements of Earth system science (geoscience)
- Creative approach to holding audience attention
- Quality of technical features
For more information on contest judges and contest prizes, click here
For our shortlist of suggested resources to edit your "Striving for Sustainability Globally" video entry, click here
For questions please contact: email@example.com
--- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- --
--- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----